Friday, 14 August 2015

Suggested Reading

Earlier today I saw this tweet in my timeline, from The Pool:


The link is to an interesting article by Kate Spicer worth its four minutes allotted reading time! I love the idea that 2015 is the year of the red storm, although I think there's still a way to go before menstruation is no longer taboo. I'm happy that periods are being talked about and the issues around them are being more openly acknowledged.

The tweet also reminded me that there was another period article on The Pool not that long ago. I just read it again, and it's a really great article by Anna Friedman that talks about the emotional side of menstruation. I love this bit the most:

if you’re really suffering every month, your crazy-making PMS symptoms belong at home – where you are free to eat whole chocolate bars and and cry at every elimination on The Voice – not in the workplace, or god forbid, on the beach. Public spaces are for women who can play through the pain and swallow their tears.

This resonates completely with how I feeling yesterday. You can read the whole article HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment